What is Benz-O-Sthetic used for?
- Benz-O-Sthetic is used to treat mouth sores.
- It is used to treat canker sores.
- Benz-O-Sthetic is also used to treat mouth irritation.
- It is used to ease mouth and throat pain.
Before taking Benz-O-Sthetic, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Benz-O-Sthetic; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If the patient is a child younger than 2 years of age. Do not give Benz-O-Sthetic to a child younger than 2 years of age. Do not use Benz-O-Sthetic for teething.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Benz-O-Sthetic with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Benz-O-Sthetic?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Benz-O-Sthetic. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- A severe blood problem called methemoglobinemia has happened with drugs like this one. The risk may be raised in people who have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency, heart problems, or lung problems. The risk may also be raised while taking certain other drugs and in infants younger than 6 months of age. Tell your doctor if you have ever had methemoglobinemia.
- Different brands of Benz-O-Sthetic may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving Benz-O-Sthetic to a child.
- Do not eat while your mouth feels numb. You may bite your tongue.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is Benz-O-Sthetic best taken?
Use Benz-O-Sthetic as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not eat or drink for at least 1 hour after using.
- Wash hands before and after use.
- Put a thin layer on the affected part.
- Keep out of your eyes.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use Benz-O-Sthetic on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Benz-O-Sthetic is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are the side effects of Benz-O-Sthetic that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of methemoglobinemia like a blue or gray color of the lips, nails, or skin; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; seizures; very bad dizziness or passing out; very bad headache; feeling very sleepy; feeling tired or weak; or shortness of breath. This effect is rare but may be deadly if it happens.
- Very bad mouth pain.
- When treating a very sore throat, if signs last more than 2 days, or happen with fever, headache, rash, upset stomach, or throwing up.
What are some other side effects of Benz-O-Sthetic?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where Benz-O-Sthetic is used.
- Mouth tingling.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Benz-O-Sthetic?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use and disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Benz-O-Sthetic, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Benz-O-Sthetic or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Benz-O-Sthetic. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.