What is Xelpros used for?
- Xelpros is used to treat glaucoma.
- It is used to lower high eye pressure.
Before taking Xelpros, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to this medicine (Xelpros); any part of this medicine (Xelpros); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have swelling in the eye.
- If you have a herpes infection of the eye.
- If you are using another drug like this one. If you are not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Xelpros).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Xelpros) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Xelpros?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Xelpros). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care when driving or doing other tasks that call for clear eyesight.
- Have your eye pressure and eyesight checked as you have been told by the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have an eye infection, eye injury, or will be having eye surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Xelpros) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is Xelpros best taken?
Use this medicine (Xelpros) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the eye only.
- Use in the evening.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Take out contact lenses before using this medicine (Xelpros). Lenses may be put back in 15 minutes after this medicine (Xelpros) is given. Do not put contacts back in if your eyes are irritated or infected.
- Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
- Tilt your head back and drop drug into the eye.
- After use, keep your eyes closed. Put pressure on the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 1 to 2 minutes. This keeps the drug in your eye.
- Blot extra solution from the eyelid.
- If more than 1 drug is being used in the same eye, use each drug at least 5 minutes apart.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are the side effects of Xelpros that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Eye discharge.
- Eye color may change to a brown color. This change may be long-lasting. Eye color changes may happen a few months to years after starting this medicine (Xelpros). If eye color changes, call the doctor.
What are some other side effects of Xelpros?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Eye irritation.
- Blurred eyesight.
- Eyelash growth.
- Feeling that something is in the eye.
- This medicine may cause eyelash changes like dark eyelashes, thickness, or more eyelashes. Most of the time, these changes go back to normal after this medicine (Xelpros) is stopped.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Xelpros?
- Store in a refrigerator or at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from light.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use and disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Xelpros), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine (Xelpros) or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine (Xelpros). It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine (Xelpros). This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine (Xelpros).