What is Astelin?
- Astelin Nasal Spray is a prescription medicine used to treat symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis in people age 5 and older and vasomotor rhinitis in people age 12 and older.
- Astelin Nasal Spray may help to reduce your nasal symptoms including stuffy nose, runny nose, itching and sneezing.
It is not known if Astelin Nasal Spray is safe and effective in children with seasonal allergic rhinitis under 5 years of age or in children with vasomotor rhinitis under 12 years of age.
What is the most important information I should know about Astelin?
Important: For use in your nose only.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before taking Astelin?
Before using Astelin Nasal Spray, tell your healthcare provider if you are:
- allergic to any of the ingredients in Astelin Nasal Spray. See the end of this leaflet for a complete list of ingredients in Astelin Nasal Spray.
- pregnant, or plan to become pregnant.
- breastfeeding, or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Astelin Nasal Spray passes into your breast milk. You and your healthcare provider should decide if you will use Astelin Nasal Spray if you plan to breastfeed.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Astelin Nasal Spray and other medicines may affect each other, causing side effects.
How should I take Astelin?
- Read the instructions for use that come with Astelin Nasal Spray.
- Spray Astelin Nasal Spray in your nose only. Do not spray it into your eyes or mouth.
- Use Astelin Nasal Spray exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to use it.
- Do not use more than your healthcare provider tells you.
- Throw away your Astelin Nasal Spray bottle after using 200 sprays. Even though the bottle may not be completely empty, you may not get the correct dose of medicine.
- If you use too much or a child accidentally swallows Astelin Nasal Spray, call your healthcare provider or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away.
What should I avoid while taking Astelin?
Astelin Nasal Spray can cause sleepiness:
- Do not drive, operate machinery, or do other dangerous activities until you know how Astelin Nasal Spray affects you.
- Do not drink alcohol or take other medicines that may cause you to feel sleepy while using Astelin Nasal Spray. It may make your sleepiness worse.
What are the possible side effects of Astelin?
The most common side effects of Astelin Nasal Spray include:
- unusual bitter taste
- nose burning, pain or discomfort
- runny nose
- scratchy or sore throat
- inflammation or swelling of the sinuses
- dry mouth
- weight increase
Tell your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all of the possible side effects of Astelin Nasal Spray. For more information, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
General information about the safe and effective use of Astelin
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for conditions other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not use Astelin Nasal Spray for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give Astelin Nasal Spray to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them.
This Patient Information guide summarizes the most important information about Astelin Nasal Spray. If you would like more information, talk with your healthcare provider. You can ask your pharmacist or healthcare provider for information about Astelin Nasal Spray that is written for health professionals.
For more information call 1-866-210-5954.
How should I store Astelin?
- Keep Astelin Nasal Spray upright at 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Do not freeze Astelin Nasal Spray.
- Do not use Astelin Nasal Spray after the expiration date "EXP" on the medicine label and box.
Keep Astelin Nasal Spray and all medicines out of reach of children.
What are the ingredients in Astelin?
Active ingredient: azelastine hydrochloride
Inactive ingredients: benzalkonium chloride, edetate disodium, hypromellose, citric acid, dibasic sodium phosphate, sodium chloride, and purified water.