What is carisoprodol used for?
- Carisoprodol is used to relax muscles.
Before taking carisoprodol, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to carisoprodol; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have ever had porphyria.
- If you are taking meprobamate.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with carisoprodol.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take carisoprodol with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take carisoprodol?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take carisoprodol. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for alertness while you take carisoprodol.
- Use carisoprodol for short periods of time. If signs show up again, talk with the doctor.
- Do not take carisoprodol for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking carisoprodol.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- This medicine may be habit-forming with long-term use.
- If you have been taking carisoprodol on a regular basis and you stop it all of a sudden, you may have signs of withdrawal. Do not stop taking carisoprodol all of a sudden without calling your doctor. Tell your doctor if you have any bad effects.
- Taking more of carisoprodol or taking it more often than you have been told may cause it to not work as well. This is known as tolerance. Talk with your doctor if carisoprodol stops working well. Do not take more than ordered.
- Abuse and misuse of carisoprodol by itself or with certain other drugs may cause seizures, slow or shallow breathing, changes in alertness, coma, or death.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using carisoprodol while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is carisoprodol best taken?
Use carisoprodol as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take carisoprodol on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times carisoprodol is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are the side effects of carisoprodol that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
What are some other side effects of carisoprodol?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out carisoprodol?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use and disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about carisoprodol, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take carisoprodol or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to carisoprodol. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.