What is Symdeko used for?
- Symdeko is used to treat cystic fibrosis.
Before taking Symdeko, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Symdeko; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifabutin, rifampin, or St. John's wort.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Symdeko with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Symdeko?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Symdeko. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Symdeko affects you.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Have your lung function checked as you have been told by your doctor. Talk with your doctor.
- Avoid Seville oranges.
- Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
- Cataracts have happened in children taking Symdeko. Have an eye exam before starting Symdeko and while taking it. Talk with your doctor
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is Symdeko best taken?
Use Symdeko as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take Symdeko with fatty foods. This includes eggs; avocados; nuts; butter; peanut butter; cheese pizza; or whole-milk dairy products like whole milk, cheese, or yogurt.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- This medicine has 2 different colored tablets. Be sure you know when to take each tablet. If you have questions, talk with your pharmacist.
- Keep taking Symdeko as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If it has been less than 6 hours since the missed dose, take the missed dose right away.
- If it has been 6 hours or more since the missed dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are the side effects of Symdeko that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Change in eyesight.
What are some other side effects of Symdeko?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dizziness or headache.
- Upset stomach.
- Sinus pain.
- Stuffy nose.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Symdeko?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use and disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Symdeko, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Symdeko or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Symdeko. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.