What is Dilatrate-SR used for?
- Dilatrate-SR is used to prevent chest pain.
- Dilatrate-SR may be given to you for other reasons. Talk to your doctor.
Before taking Dilatrate-SR, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Dilatrate-SR; any part of this medicine; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Avanafil, riociguat, sildenafil, tadalafil, or vardenafil.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Dilatrate-SR with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Dilatrate-SR?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Dilatrate-SR. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are taking Dilatrate-SR for chest pain, it will not treat chest pain as it happens. This medicine is only used to prevent or lower the number of chest pain attacks.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Dilatrate-SR affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Check your blood pressure as you have been told.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- If you have been taking Dilatrate-SR for a long time without a break, it may not work as well. This is known as tolerance. Be sure to have a "nitrate-free" period of time each day. Talk with your doctor if Dilatrate-SR stops working well. Do not take more than ordered.
- If you have chest pain or pressure that is new or worse, get emergency medical care right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is Dilatrate-SR best taken?
Use Dilatrate-SR as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not stop taking Dilatrate-SR all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of side effects. If you need to stop Dilatrate-SR, you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are the side effects of Dilatrate-SR that I need to call my doctor about immediately?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
What are some other side effects of Dilatrate-SR?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- You may have headaches when you start taking Dilatrate-SR. Most of the time it gets better with time. Do not change how you use Dilatrate-SR to avoid these headaches. Talk with your doctor for ways to lessen this side effect.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If overdose is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Dilatrate-SR?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use and disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Dilatrate-SR, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Dilatrate-SR or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Dilatrate-SR. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.