What is Elocon?
- Elocon Lotion is a prescription medicine used on the skin (topical) for the relief of redness, swelling, heat, pain (inflammation) and itching, caused by certain skin problems in people 12 years of age and older.
- It is not known if Elocon Lotion is safe and effective for use in children under 12 years of age.
- Elocon Lotion should not be used in children under 12 years of age.
What is the most important information I should know about Elocon?
Elocon Lotion is for use on skin only. Do not use Elocon Lotion in your eyes, mouth, or vagina.
Who should not use Elocon?
Do not use Elocon Lotion if you are allergic to mometasone furoate or any of the ingredients in Elocon Lotion. See the end of this leaflet for a complete list of ingredients in Elocon Lotion.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before using Elocon?
Before using Elocon Lotion, tell your healthcare provider about all your medical conditions, including if you:
- have a skin infection at the site to be treated. You may also need medicine to treat the skin infection.
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Elocon Lotion will harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Elocon Lotion passes into your breast milk.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take other corticosteroid medicines by mouth or use other products on your skin or scalp that contain corticosteroids.
How should I use Elocon?
- Use Elocon Lotion exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to use it.
- Apply a few drops of Elocon Lotion to the affected skin area 1 time each day and rub it in lightly until it disappears.
- Use Elocon Lotion until the affected skin area is improved. Tell your healthcare provider if the treated skin area does not get better after 2 weeks of treatment.
- Do not bandage, cover, or wrap the treated skin area unless your healthcare provider tells you to.
- Elocon Lotion should not be used to treat diaper rash or redness. Avoid using Elocon Lotion in the diaper area if wearing diapers or plastic pants.
- Avoid using Elocon Lotion on the face, groin, or underarms (armpits).
- Wash your hands after applying Elocon Lotion.
What are the possible side effects of Elocon?
Elocon Lotion may cause serious side effects, including:
- Elocon Lotion can pass through your skin. Too much Elocon Lotion passing through your skin can cause your adrenal glands to stop working properly. Your healthcare provider may do blood tests to check for adrenal gland problems.
- Vision problems. Topical corticosteroids may increase your chance of developing vision problems such as cataract and glaucoma. Tell your healthcare provider if you develop blurred vision or other vision problems during treatment with Elocon Lotion.
- Skin problems. Skin problems may happen during treatment with Elocon Lotion, including allergic reactions (contact dermatitis) and skin infections at the treatment site. Stop using ELOCON Lotion and tell your healthcare provider if you develop any skin reactions such as pain, tenderness, swelling, or problems healing during treatment with Elocon Lotion.
The most common side effects of Elocon Lotion include burning, itching, and inflammation of the hair follicle (folliculitis).
These are not all the possible side effects of Elocon Lotion.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
General information about the safe and effective use of Elocon
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not use Elocon Lotion for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give Elocon Lotion to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them. You can ask your pharmacist or healthcare provider for information about Elocon Lotion that is written for health professionals.
How should I store Elocon?
- Store Elocon Lotion at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Keep Elocon Lotion and all medicines out of the reach of children.
What are the ingredients in Elocon?
Active ingredient in lotion: mometasone furoate
Inactive ingredients in lotion: hydroxypropyl cellulose, isopropyl alcohol (40%), propylene glycol, purified water and sodium phosphate monobasic monohydrate. May also contain phosphoric acid used to adjust the pH to approximately 4.5.