What is Vectical?
Vectical Ointment is a prescription medicine used on the skin (topical) to treat mild to moderate plaque psoriasis in adults and children 2 years and older.
It is not known if Vectical Ointment is safe and effective in children under 2 years of age.
It is not known if Vectical Ointment is safe and effective in people with known or suspected problems with calcium metabolism.
What is the most important information I should know about Vectical?
Vectical Ointment is for use on the skin only (topical use). Do not use Vectical Ointment in your mouth, eyes, or vagina.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before using Vectical?
Before using Vectical Ointment, tell your healthcare provider about all your medical conditions, including if you:
- are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. It is not known if Vectical Ointment will harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Vectical Ointment passes into your breast milk. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby during treatment with Vectical Ointment.
- If you use Vectical Ointment and breastfeed, do not apply Vectical Ointment to your nipple and areola to avoid getting Vectical Ointment into your baby’s mouth.
Tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take:
- medicines that can increase your calcium levels, such as water pills (thiazide diuretics)
- calcium or vitamin D supplements
Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for a list of these medicines if you are not sure if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them to show your healthcare provider and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
How should I use Vectical?
- Use Vectical Ointment exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to use it.
- Apply Vectical Ointment to the affected areas 2 times each day in the morning and evening.
- Adults and children 7 years of age and older should not use more than 200 grams in 1 week.
- Children 2 to 6 years of age should not use more than 100 grams in 1 week.
- Avoid applying Vectical Ointment to your eyes, lips, or facial skin.
- Apply only enough Vectical Ointment to cover your affected skin area.
- You should not cover the treated area(s) with a waterproof (occlusive) bandage or overdosage may occur.
- Gently rub Vectical Ointment into the affected area until it disappears into your skin.
- Wash your hands after using Vectical Ointment, unless you are using the medicine to treat your hands.
What are the possible side effects of Vectical?
Vectical Ointment may cause serious side effects, including:
- Too much calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia) may occur with Vectical Ointment. Your healthcare provider may tell you to stop using Vectical Ointment until your calcium levels become normal.
- The most common side effects of Vectical Ointment include increased urine calcium level, itching, and skin discomfort.
These are not all of the possible side effects of Vectical Ointment.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
You may also report side effects to Galderma Laboratories, L.P. at 1-866-735-4137.
General information about the safe and effective use of Vectical
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not use Vectical Ointment for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give Vectical Ointment to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them. You can ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for information about Vectical Ointment that is written for health professionals.
How should I store Vectical?
- Store Vectical Ointment at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Do not freeze or refrigerate Vectical Ointment.
Keep Vectical Ointment and all medicines out of the reach of children.
What are the ingredients in Vectical?
Active ingredient: calcitriol
Inactive ingredients: mineral oil, dl-α-tocopherol, and white petrolatum.