What is Voltaren Arthritis Pain?
Voltaren Arthritis Pain is a gel containing a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that is for topical use only. Voltaren Arthritis Pain is used for the temporary relief arthritis pain only in the following areas:
- hand, wrist, elbow (upper body areas)
- foot, ankle, knee (lower body areas)
Voltaren Arthritis Pain is not for use on other body parts including the back, hip or shoulder.
What is the most important information I should know about Voltaren Arthritis Pain?
Voltaren Arthritis Pain is for external use only.
- Allergy alert: Diclofenac may cause a severe allergic reaction, especially in people allergic to aspirin. Symptoms may include:
- asthma (wheezing)
- skin reddening
- facial swelling
If an allergic reaction occurs, stop use and seek medical help right away.
- Liver warning: This product contains diclofenac. Liver damage may occur if you apply
- more or for a longer time than directed
- when using other drugs containing diclofenac
- Stomach bleeding warning: This product contains an NSAID, which may cause severe stomach bleeding. The chance is small but higher if you
- are age 60 or older
- have had stomach ulcers or bleeding problems
- take a blood thinning (anticoagulant) or steroid drug
- take other drugs containing prescription or nonprescription NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, or others)
- have 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day while using this product • apply more or for longer than directed
- Heart attack and stroke warning: NSAIDs, except aspirin, increase the risk of heart attack, heart failure, and stroke. These can be fatal. The risk is higher if you use more than directed or for longer than directed.
- It is especially important not to use this product during the last 3 months of pregnancy unless definitely directed to do so by a doctor because it may cause problems in the unborn child or complications during delivery.
Who should not use Voltaren Arthritis Pain?
Do not use Voltaren Arthritis Pain:
- if you have a known hypersensitivity to diclofenac or any of the other ingredients in Voltaren Arthritis Pain
- if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any other pain reliever or to a fever reducer
- for strains, sprains, bruises or sports injuries. This product has not been shown to work for these types of injuries
- right before or after heart surgery
- on more than 2 body areas at the same time
- in the eyes, nose or mouth
What should I tell my healthcare provider before using Voltaren Arthritis Pain?
Ask a doctor before use if
- you have problems or serious side effects from taking pain relievers or fever reducers
- stomach bleeding warning applies to you
- you have a history of stomach problems, such as heartburn
- you have high blood pressure, heart disease, liver cirrhosis, kidney disease, asthma, or had a stroke
- you are taking a diuretic
- you are under age 18 years. It is not known if this drug works or is safe in children under age 18 years.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are
- under a doctor’s care for any serious condition
- taking any other drug
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use. It is especially important not to use this product during the last 3 months of pregnancy unless definitely directed to do so by a doctor because it may cause problems in the unborn child or complications during delivery.
How should I use Voltaren Arthritis Pain?
- Read the Voltaren Arthritis Pain user guide that comes with Voltaren Arthritis Pain before using
- Use up to 21 days unless directed by your doctor
- Not for strains, sprains, bruises or sports injuries. This product has not been shown to work for these types of injuries
- Daily use for your arthritis pain:
- Use 4 times per day every day
- Do not use on more than 2 body areas at the same time
- Use the ENCLOSED DOSING CARD that comes with Voltaren Arthritis Pain to measure a dose
- For each upper body area (hand, wrist, or elbow) – Squeeze out 2.25 inches (2 grams)
- For each lower body area (foot, ankle or knee) – Squeeze out 4.5 inches (4 grams)
- use only as directed
- do not use more than directed or for longer than directed
- apply only to clean, dry skin that does not have any cuts, open wounds, infections or rashes
- do not apply in same area as any other product
- do not apply with external heat such as heating pad • do not apply a bandage over the treated area
- store ENCLOSED DOSING CARD with your Voltaren Arthritis Pain. The dosing card is re-usable.
- This product may take up to 7 days to work for arthritis pain; it is not for immediate relief. If no pain relief in 7 days, stop use
- When using this product avoid contact with eyes, nose, or mouth. If eye contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with water
What should I avoid while using Voltaren Arthritis Pain?
- Avoid contact with eyes, nose, or mouth. If eye contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with water
- Do not use more than directed or for longer than directed
- Do not apply in same area as any other product
- Do not apply with external heat such as heating pad
- Do not apply a bandage over the treated area
What are the possible side effects of Voltaren Arthritis Pain?
Stop use and ask a doctor if
- pain gets worse or lasts more than 21 days
- redness or swelling is present in the painful area
- fever occurs
- skin irritation occurs
- any new symptoms appear. These could be signs of a serious condition.
- you experience any of the following signs of stomach bleeding:
- feel faint
- have bloody or black stools
- vomit blood
- have stomach pain that does not get better
- you have symptoms of heart problems or stroke:
- chest pain
- trouble breathing
- leg swelling
- weakness in one part or side of body
- slurred speech
How should I store Voltaren Arthritis Pain?
- Store at room temperature 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C). Do not freeze
- Store the dosing card with your Voltaren Arthritis Pain
- Keep Voltaren Arthritis Pain and all medicines out of reach of children
- If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away
What are the ingredients in Voltaren Arthritis Pain?
Active ingredient: diclofenac sodium
Inactive ingredients: carbomer homopolymer Type C, cocoyl caprylocaprate, fragrance, isopropyl alcohol, mineral oil, polyoxyl 20 cetostearyl ether, propylene glycol, purfied water, strong ammonia solution
Questions or comments please call 1-855-297-3031 or visit www.voltarengel.com